This site is under maintenance, but will be back up before you can say tetrahydrocannabinol.

Utah Medical Marijuana Card, Curious About Being a Patient?

Get comfortable about what to expect at a Medical Marijuana evaluation

It has been somewhat confusing for patients in Utah who would like to discuss Medical Marijuana with a doctor, PA, or NP because the Utah Medical Cannabis Card system is not up and running, dispensaries are not open yet, but Medical Cannabis is already legal. And then there is this weird feeling you get when you think about talking (out loud) about a drug that you grew up thinking was harmful, illegal, addictive, and terrible.

If you are considering becoming a Medical Marijuana patient, maybe you would like to know the process.

First, take a look at the list of qualifying conditions. You can also call our office or go to my previous article and look over the qualifying conditions. Anxiety and depression, insomnia, migraines, and glaucoma are NOT qualifying conditions in Utah, even though they can be treated in other states.

Pain greater than 2 weeks, not controlled with standard treatment – Persistent Nausea – Alzheimer’s – Crohn’s disease – Ulcerative Colitis -Cancer – ALS -Cachexia (weakness &/or weight loss due to illness) – HIV or AIDS – Epilepsy – Seizures – Persistent muscle spasms – Multiple Sclerosis – PTSD – Terminal Illness – Rare Condition or Condition you feel should be evaluated by the Utah Compassionate Use Board

Pain is the Most Common Qualifier

The vast majority of patients will use pain as a complaint. This has been the case in all other states Medical Marijuana is legal. Utah defines pain qualification as the following.

Pain lasting longer than two weeks that is not adequately managed, in the qualified medical provider’s opinion, despite treatment attempts using: conventional medications other than opioids or opiates: or physical interventions.

For example, a patient has a metal plate in their arm after surgery three years ago and the metal plate causes long-term pain. Ibuprofen and Tylenol do not work well and the patient did physical therapy after the surgery but is still left with some ongoing pain. This pain obviously is longer than two weeks and conventional medications are not effective. In my opinion, This patient would qualify for a Medical Cannabis Card.

I have discussions with orthopedic surgeons who agree that any of their knee replacement or hip replacement patients would qualify even before surgery because their pain is greater than two weeks and because it will require surgery to fix. Even if ibuprofen and Tylenol help the pain, the fact that they need surgery proves that “conventional” medical treatment is not effective for their condition and “physical interventions” did not work.

It gets trickier when the patient has a toothache for three weeks, takes Norco, which helps, but Tylenol does not. Technically this will qualify, but many providers will still not recommend in this case.

Ok, one final example.

This patient has painful migraine headaches, they come on every two-three weeks, last about a day and a half, but the medication they are prescribed does not really help, and this drug is the second one they have tried. The condition has been bothersome for over a year. Do Migraines qualify? No, they do not. But do they qualify for the PAIN associated with the Migraines? Yes.

Diagnostic Criteria for “Pain Disorder” (DSM Code — 307.80)

1. Pain in one or more anatomical sites is the predominant focus of the clinical presentation and is of sufficient severity to warrant clinical attention.
  2. The pain causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.
  3. Psychological factors are judged to have an important role in the onset, severity, exacerbation, or maintenance of the pain.
  4. The symptom or deficit is not intentionally produced or feigned.
  5. The pain is not better accounted for by a mood, anxiety, or psychotic disorder.

Translation: The pain is bad and affects life enough that the patient is asking for help from a PA, NP, or doctor.

The Migraine patient has a Pain Disorder (as defined above) because she has pain in her head (anatomical site), she is seeking help (clinical attention), it causes her to miss work or otherwise affects her life, and the pain is not faked (feigned).

There seem to be three options for this patient:

1. Find a provider who is willing to recommend cannabis for her based on the above argument.
  2. Not get a recommendation for cannabis.
  3. Find a provider who is willing to write a letter to the Utah Compassionate Use Board to request a card based on scientific studies and the patient’s condition.

If you still don’t know that you would qualify or you are just plain scared about it, please please call me at 801-851-5554 and let’s talk about it. I grew up in Utah and I think I know the feeling. Also, contact the clinic and we will send you a secure form for health questions. Please do not send health information in an email.

I know I qualify, now what?

Now you can find a provider (hopefully me), and make an appointment. Try either going online to my calendar or calling 801-851-5554.

Once you schedule you will instantly get an emailed link to the secure intake form and consent, and be able to confirm the appointment with your deposit. The total cost of the evaluation and recommendation is $250 paid by credit or debit card at your visit. There is no deposit.

On the Day of Your Visit

Come prepared to talk about marijuana, cannabis, weed, pot, ganja, hashish, tincture, oil, creams, joints, bongs, dabs, wax, resin, and anything else you want to talk about. Yes, we are comfortable with the whole process and we want you to be too. Destigmatizing Medical Cannabis for you is part of this process.

Things we might ask about your condition.

• When did this condition start?
  • How long have you been bothered by this? Does the pain come and go, or is it constant?
  • Describe the pain, does it burn, ache, throb, or nag?
  • Do you have other symptoms related to the pain? Does it cause nausea, keep you awake, or make you anxious?
  • How does this affect your daily routine?
  • Have you had any imaging, surgery, or other testing?
  • What have you tried for treatment? Taken medications, physical therapy, seen doctors?

You should also bring any medical records if we requested to confirm your diagnosis for the qualifying condition.

If you qualify you will leave with the letter

If you qualify and we decide together that you would like to try Medical Cannabis for your condition, you will get a letter from me THE SAME DAY that will allow you to legally possess and use cannabis in Utah.

After March 1st, Utah requires a 30-day follow-up visit after the initial recommendation. This is included with our initial cost, but may not be with other doctors. Check with your doctor before you go!

Medical Cannabis Cards in Utah expire after six months. We will send you a reminder one month before it expires to remind you to confirm a renewal visit. Many times the renewal will be offered via telemedicine (zoom video chat). Please note that telemedicine visits are subject to availability and are offered under limited circumstances. Call us at 801-851-5554 to ask about arranging a telemedicine visit.

While you are in ultimate control of what you use and how you use it, we also include education and expertise with delivery methods (oral, inhaled, cooked, creams, tinctures) and dosing help. In my opinion, you should be wary of those that are not willing (or able) to discuss this with you. Don’t you think your medical provider should know a lot about what they are recommending?

More information and education on Utah Medical Marijuana

You can always get more information at UtahMarijuana.org and join the email list below to get education about cannabis in your email inbox.

Now you know a little more of what to expect with a Utah Medical Marijuana Card evaluation and hopefully, this made you feel a little more comfortable with the process. Please comment below if you have questions or need clarification on anything!

By Tim Pickett
Founder of UtahMarijuana.org
Published January 8, 2020
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
102 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Scooter
Scooter
3 months ago

So basically it’s $250 for the possibility that they MIGHT accept you into the program? And so what if they decide that you are ineligible for treatment? Am I just out $250 bucks?

UtahMarijuana.org
3 months ago
Reply to  Scooter

Hey there, great question! At UTTHC, if you don’t qualify, you don’t pay. We’ll refund you your deposit and send you on your way. We’re not after your money — we want you to feel better. If you’re curious about your eligibility to the program, start here with a quick prescreening form: utahmarijuana.org/self-screening

Riley Black
Riley Black
5 months ago

I’ve had seizures from epilepsy since I was in 4th grade, these seizures are usually grand maul and are followed by strong migraines, I am currently 19 years old and have been researching for treatments but googles answers are not very consistent, and I was wondering about how old you must be before you can apply for a card since google says both 18 and 21 can receive a card but the front page says 21 and over. I have already submitted a comment but am now writing a new one since I forgot to include this

5 months ago
Reply to  Riley Black

Hi there, Riley. While the age for Medical Cannabis use is set to 21 in Utah, the state also recognizes that as a medicine, people under 21 may still benefit from it’s therapeutic properties. Because of this, the department of health has appointed a board of physicians to approve minor use of Medical Cannabis called the compassionate use board. While UTTHC no longer takes cases for minor patients, some other clinics in the state do. Please visit https://medicalcannabis.utah.gov/resources/compassionate-use-board/ for more information on how to get approved for use under the age of 21.

Taylor
Taylor
9 months ago

I injured my back about 10 months ago and have gone to physical therapists, chiropractors, and spine doctors and I have herniated and bulging discs in my spine along with fissure tears in my muscles around it. I’ve tried muscle relaxers and pain medication but the pain is too constant to stay on them forever. Does this qualify?

9 months ago
Reply to  Taylor

Hi, Taylor, thanks for this question! According to the information you’ve given, it does seem like you’ll qualify for Medical Cannabis use (pain lasting longer than 2 weeks not adequately managed by other treatments). Feel free to give us a call or schedule online — we will see you soon!

Rick Jones
11 months ago

I have anxiety. I’d like to get help for it. Maybe I can get qualified and get the letter.

11 months ago
Reply to  Rick Jones

Hi Rick, thanks for reading! While anxiety isn’t a qualifying condition for Medical Cannabis use in Utah, many of our patients find that they qualify in another way that they weren’t aware of. Take a quick, confidential quiz to see how you qualify for Medical Cannabis and if you have any questions, give us a call at 801.851.5554. Happy holidays!

Jedediah Ramson
Jedediah Ramson
1 year ago

Hi, my name’s Jedediah Ramson. Does having bipolar type 1 or 2 qualify someone for a card?

1 year ago

Hi Jedidiah, unfortunately, bipolar disorder does not qualify someone for Medical Cannabis use in Utah, however, that’s not to say that you may qualify under a different condition. Give us a call and we can discuss your options. Talk soon!

Kadence Gibson
Kadence Gibson
1 year ago

My name is Kadence and i’ve been suffering from migraines for the last 4ish years. When my migraines hit, I lose my vision and feeling in my legs. The migraines last the entire day, sometimes following to the next day. I was prescribed sumatriptan but it didn’t really do anything for me. I am completely helpless when they hit and can’t do anything. Do I qualify for a medical card?

Reply to  Kadence Gibson

It sounds like you absolutely qualify, Kadence. Go ahead and schedule an appointment online at utmmj.org/reserve or give us a call and we can chat about it further. Talk to you soon!

Jonah Gunderson
Jonah Gunderson
1 year ago

My name is jonah gunderson and I have acid reflux and diverticulitis I’ve had this since I was 18 and it affects my work when ever I bend or lift I feel like throwing up and it feels like a hot knife is in my belly Iv taken every precaution I can with what I have would I qualify for the medical card

1 year ago

Hi Jonah. Thanks for sharing your story with us! It sounds like you absolutely would qualify for a Medical Cannabis Card. If you’d like to discuss the program or process further, give us a call at 801.851.5554 or you’re welcome to schedule online at utmmj.org/reserve.

Isaac
Isaac
1 year ago

I have a few injuries that I think I qualify for but I’m not sure I’ve had sever back pain for the last year and a half and I’ve gone to chiropractors and doctors nothing seems to work I also had a bad injury on my knee that hurts almost everyday that happened 3 years ago and finally I got my head crushed in a car nothing too serious happed thankfully but I’ve gotten the worst migraines that hurt terribly ever since that was over a year ago

Reply to  Isaac

Hey Isaac, thanks for sharing your story with us. It absolutely sounds like you would qualify for a Medical Cannabis Card. If you’d like to discuss further, give us a call at 801.851.5554 or you can schedule online at utmmj.org/reserve.

Jaymi Horrocks
Jaymi Horrocks
1 year ago

I suffer from anxiety, and acid reflux. My acid reflux causing me to have nausea and have had this for about a year or more. Anxiety is not qualified, but my anxiety’s and panic attacks causes asthma flares which has caused me to have horrible chest pain for more than two weeks it’s been on going for about a month. I was diagnosed with Costochondritis. I was prescribed a Flovent inhaler, and Ibuprofen, Carafate and omeprazole. However they have not been helping with my nausea more my pain. Do I qualify?

Reply to  Jaymi Horrocks

Hey Jaymi, you absolutely qualify for Medical Cannabis with the pain and nausea you’re experiencing. Give us a call at 801.851.5554 to schedule an appointment or do so online at utmmj.org/reserve. We’ve got clinics in Millcreek, West Valley, Ogden, Bountiful, and Provo, and we can’t wait to help you feel better!

Travis Larsen
Reply to  Jaymi Horrocks

Hello, I’m a flooring installer for roughly 30 yrs , I suffer from back pain , and knee pain , I had scope surgery on one of my knees , helped for a while , but Being on my knees everyday tales a toll on my , I ache every night and struggle to sleep due to my knees hurting , would I qualify for medical marijuana?

Reply to  Travis Larsen

Hey Travis, sounds to me like you absolutely qualify! Give us a call at 801.851.5554 or schedule online at utmmj.org/reserve and let’s get you feeling better.

Travis
Reply to  Jaymi Horrocks

Reply to  Travis

Alex Cadjan
Alex Cadjan
1 year ago

Hi! I noticed in your article you said migraines and head pain usually aren’t qualified to get a medical card, but i’ve had migraines due to concussions that are almost daily that cause severe nausea and anxiety. Would that qualify? Thank you so much for your time and information!

Reply to  Alex Cadjan

Hey there, great question! While migraines themselves are not a qualifying condition in Utah, you can qualify for cannabis use with the pain and nausea they cause. You definitely can get your card for your migraines in this way. We’d love to help you feel better. Schedule online at utmmj.org/reserve or call us at 801.851.5554.

Jarron
Jarron
1 year ago

Ive had back pain since I was about 16 or 17. I know I had some xrays done and was told I have minor scoliosis and that 2 of my lumbar disks are basically fused together.
Would I qualify for a medical card? And are you able to request my medical history?

Reply to  Jarron

Hey there! Pain lasting longer than two weeks is a qualifying condition for cannabis in Utah, so you are definitely eligible to get your card. As for your medical history, we suggest gathering those on your own to bring to your appointment. Alternatively, if you are taking any medication currently to help with the pain, documentation of that prescription is valid medical history for our purposes. Even a pill bottle will work. We’d love to help you feel better. For more info on the process and to make an appointment, give us a call at 801.851.5554. You can also schedule online at utmmj.org/reserve. See you soon!

Emilio Schouten
Emilio Schouten

Hey,
I had a sprained ankle about 2 years ago, I went through physical therapy but it’s still giving me pain when I walk and it occasionally pops which hurts a lot. would I qualify? I also suffer from anxiety and depression that makes me nauseous and unable to sleep.

1 year ago

Hey there, Emilio. To me, it definitely sounds like you qualify for Medical Cannabis use. We’d love to help you feel better. Give us a call at 801.851.5554 or schedule online at utmmj.org/reserve. Talk soon!

Whitney herrera
Whitney herrera

Hi there!
I have suffered from anxiety/depression for years & sever post partum. I usually get nausea and can’t sleep because of it. Would this be something I would qualify for? I have tried SSRI’s, ketamine iv treqtments, & still no luck.

1 year ago

Hey, Whitney! Thanks for reaching out. While anxiety and depression are not qualifying conditions for cannabis in Utah, nausea is and we can likely get you approved for that condition. Give us a call at 801.851.5554 and we can discuss your options with you. Talk soon!

Dalton Potter
Dalton Potter
1 year ago

I have anxiety where it prevents me taking action like leaving my house. For the past several months, i have struggled sleeping and gotten nauseous and even sick from anxiousness and lost several pounds over the past 3 months. Additionally, i have had consistent pain/soreness lingering in the tendons in my fingers, elbow, shoulder, and neck from past rock climbing injuries. I have used marijuana in the past and my anxiety, nausea, and pain improved but i never considered how to obtain it with a medical card until coming to this website because it is kind of a hush/taboo topic here in Utah. Just curious if id qualify, so that i could get relief i know works for me.

Reply to  Dalton Potter

I’m so glad you found us, Dalton! You definitely qualify for Medical Cannabis use in Utah, in a few different ways. There’s no doubt in my mind you’ll be approved. In fact, we’d love to help you do it. Our affiliated clinic, Utah Therapeutic Health Center, has over 20 providers qualified to recommend cannabis and four locations in Millcreek, Ogden, West Salt Lake, and Provo. Give us a call at 801.851.5554 to chat more about this with one of our friendly patient experience team, or schedule online at utmmj.org/reserve. See you soon!

Dan Collins
2 years ago

It is good to know that there are medical supports like this. I will definitely share this with my friends. Thank you very much for posting this.

Reply to  Dan Collins

We’re so glad you found it helpful! Thanks for spreading the good word!

Maci Florence
Maci Florence
2 years ago

Hi I have really bad anxiety and i am anxious all the time. i’m either very nauseous or my stomach hurts really bad. The anxiety makes my stomach hurt because i get stressed out and over think things. But most times I am nauseous because i don’t have an appetite and can’t eat anything without wanting to throw up. I have lost a lot of weight and it’s honestly making me so I don’t have any energy to do anything. Can you please help me get qualified it would help me out a lot.

Reply to  Maci Florence

Hi, Maci! It sounds to me like you would benefit greatly from Medical Cannabis treatment. You’re welcome to schedule here or give us a call on Monday morning at 801.851.5554 and we can schedule you. Hope to hear from you soon!

Shay H.
Shay H.
2 years ago

This is a bit of a long shot, but I thought I would ask. I just read above that anxiety and depression aren’t valid reasons in UT to use medical marijuana as a treatment; I was just curious if there is anything involving issues with addiction. I’ve suffered with terrible anxiety since I was 8 years old (27 now) and that’s why I started and struggled using illicit drugs for quite a few years of my life. I’ve been clean for almost 2 years now and marijuana has been the one thing that’s been able to help me deal with my anxiety. Just wondering if you had any ideas or suggestions for me. Thank you for your time 🙂

Reply to  Shay H.

Hi Shay, I’m happy to help. While, you’re right, anxiety and depression aren’t qualifying conditions in the state of Utah, some of the symptoms that come with anxiety are. Give us a call and I’m sure one of our patient experience team can help you find a way to qualify. For reference, the most common qualifying condition in Utah is pain lasting more than two weeks that is not managed by traditional medication. Call us at 801.851.5554 and we’ll see how we can get you a Medical Cannabis Card!

Niki
Niki
1 year ago

Hi I suffer from a number of things. The biggest is sciatica nerve pain in my hip. I’ve been to chiropractors, physical therapy, done yoga, bought a water rower a new bed and nothing seems to take the daily pain away. I’ve used alcohol and marijuana to help with the pain. Along with this I have pulmonary hypertension, anxiety, Mariners disease with vertigo, nausea and light sensitivity. To top it off I’m allergic to any kind of meds to help with the vertigo. I also suffer from GI problems that have caused inflammation in my abdomen. I’ve been to dr’s and I have a cardiologist for my hypertension but the BP meds just deplete me. I use THC to help with these and it works. Wondering if this is enough to validate an appointment with you to see if I qualify. The sciatica nerve pain is the daily problem I have. The other symptoms can last up to 2-3 months but come and go. Pulmonary hypertension until I have a heart valve replaced. Other than that I’m healthy lol. Thanks

Reply to  Niki

Hey there, Niki! This is more than enough to qualify you for medical cannabis use and we’d love to see you in our clinic! We have locations in Millcreek, West Salt Lake, or Ogden. Give us a call at 801.851.5554 or reserve your appointment online at utmmj.org/reserve.

Miranda R
Miranda R
2 years ago

I have really bad migraines and have them almost constantly they sometimes make it so I can’t get out of bed or do anything and make me nauseous and make it so I have a hard time sleeping. I have had migraines since I was 10. Would I qualify?

Reply to  Miranda R

Hi Miranda. It definitely sounds like you would qualify for Medical Cannabis use in Utah, and we’d love to help you get some relief. You can go ahead and schedule an appointment online at utmmj.org/reserve or give us a call at 801-851-5554 to talk a bit further about your condition.

Kordine Cottam
Kordine Cottam
2 years ago

I have very bad arthritis in my hands it is very painful and has been going on for several years. I have been taking mobic but it isn’t helping.
I am curious if I would qualify

Reply to  Kordine Cottam

Hey there, Kordine. You absolutely qualify for Medical Marijuana use with the pain that your arthritis causes you. We’d love to get you you scheduled! Call 801-851-5554 or visit utmmj.org/reserve. It would be our pleasure to help you take the first step to better health and wellness.

Matt
Matt
2 years ago

I suffer from moderate depression, severe – traumatic anxiety, and severe PTSD. When my anxiety acts up due to PTSD triggers, I get very nauseous, have frequent heart palpitations, and lots of pain throughout my back to my migraines in my head.

For some reason, Anxiety and Depression aren’t listed for the qualifiers, but I have symptoms of what is qualified. Any help?

Reply to  Matt

Good afternoon, Matt. You are correct, but while anxiety and depression are not qualifying conditions, PTSD is. We are able to get you qualified for PTSD as long as you can provide documentation of this diagnosis. This can be a chart note or letter signed by a master’s level provider (MD, DO, LSCW, psychologist, psychiatrist.) Give our office a call at 801-851-5554 and we are happy to start the process for you and get you scheduled!

Adam
Adam
2 years ago

I’m prescribed Temazepam, lorazepam, and Percocet for headaches and TMJ pain. I really want to try cannabis and get off all the other stuff. Do I qualify?

Courtney Watson
Courtney Watson
Reply to  Adam

If the pain has been ailing you for more than 14 days straight, then yes, you qualify! We’d be glad to see you in our clinic as a patient. Give us a call at 801-851-5554 to get scheduled and we’ll happily walk you through the process. You may also schedule online at https://utmmj.org/1 (if you are over the age of 21. If you are younger than that, please call us as additional information needs to be provided to you.) We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Randy
Randy
2 years ago

They say anxiety and panic attacks dont qualify but when my anxiety acts up I get nausea, lack of appetite and lack of sleep so would that still not qualify?

Courtney Watson
Courtney Watson
Reply to  Randy

While anxiety is not a qualifying condition, nausea is. We can get you your card for nausea. Give our office a call at 801-851-5554 or schedule online at utmmj.org/1

Brooke
Brooke
Reply to  Randy

I get this too. When I get a manic depressive/ anxiety episode I will throw up over and over again to where my throat will bleed.

Charlotte Fleet
2 years ago

I like that you mention that the type of pain you experience can determine whether you qualify yo try medical marijuana or not. My husband has been having some back pain for a while now. I think we should find someone that can recommend a medical marijuana prescription card to help his pain.

Courtney Watson
Courtney Watson
2 years ago

Charlotte, give us a call at 801-851-5554 or schedule online at https://utmmj.org/1. We would be happy to get your husband some relief using medical marijuana.

Taylor

Hi there!

Dalton Potter
Dalton Potter

Reply to  Dalton Potter

Dan Collins

Reply to  Dan Collins

We’re so glad you found it helpful! Thanks for spreading the good word!

Maci Florence

Suite 108
Salt Lake City, UT 84107
press@utthc.com
Utah Marijuana Logo
chevron-down
102
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram